Friday, July 13, 2012

Crispy Onion Rings

I had a craving for some onion rings just not the greasy too many calorie kind..so I went on a mission to find a recipe that was baked. I found one on skinnytaste that sounded just perfect for me, only 2 WW pts and baked so I decided to adapt it.
The funny thing about my relationship with onions is I was not very fond of them until I started cooking myself. Their presence usually bothers me but never with onion rings. I have always enjoyed them! So let me share what I did with this yummy healthy kind.

Ingredients:

1 onion
seasoned bread crumbs
panko crumbs
2 cups buttermilk
salt

I cut the onion lengthwise to form rings, my onion was exceptionally large which now looking back I wish I would have bought the smaller kind.
Then I soaked the rings in buttermilk for about 1 hour in the fridge. Once the hour had gone by I made my dipping station which was the breadcrumbs and my parchment paper lined baking sheet. My only recommendation for this is to not put all the breadcrumbs in at once because they WILL clump and not stick to the rings. Dip the rings in the breadcrumb mix (panko and seasoned) then set on baking sheet.
Pop them into the oven at 425 for about 13min. Then enjoy! These make a great side dish or a yummy snack :)

No comments:

Post a Comment