Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tempeh Parmesan


I had not heard of tempeh until the other day when I was browsing the tofu section of the market. I'm looking for meat substitutes so I decided to give it a try. This recipe was just perfect for anyone that is trying tempeh for the first time! Danny loved it which is a lot to say because when I bought it all I heard were complaints. It was so filling and just plain good! I served mine with a side of spaghetti squash and it was all healthy and guilt-free.

Ingredients:

1 block tempeh (I used soy)
panko crumbs
seasoned crumbs
2 tbsp egg beaters
dash of salt and pepper
tomato sauce
cheese

Set up your breading station with the egg beaters and the crumbs mixed together. Cut the tempeh block in half and the half the piece again so that it is not that thick. Dip in egg and then in crumbs. Heat a pan with olive oil on med low heat, once it is hot enough place the tempeh in and wait till browned. Flip over and cook through. When it is all cooked place in a baking dish and spoon some tomato sauce on top of each piece and top with cheese. Broil on 400 until cheese gets bubbly.

Plate and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog - great, fun recipes! I will browse and be pinning! :) Julia

    ReplyDelete